Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Austin ZOOMA 20k Relay Race


I forgot to update on the relay race. I didn't even take pictures (not like I'd carry my camera around with me but you know...). Carey & I met up at ButtCrack:o'clock am in the Central Market parking lot and drove out to the Cedar Creek High School together, then took the shuttle from there to the resort. Yes, the race was located on a resort.
It was pretty dang cold. And I didn't realize that the 5k race runners were going at the same time as the 20k relay runners, so that confused me a bit. There were alot of 5k race runners and then when they were finished, pretty much 80% of the runners disappeared. I was the first leg runner in our relay, though, so it did look like I was up with ALOT of people, which kept me pretty motivated and I ended up finishing the 3.2 miles in 28:24, which - for me- is really good. That's about a 9 minute mile, which is hard for me to believe I did. I haven't done that since I was pretty young. (like way younger! I used to run 8 minute miles in middle school without even breathing hard, that'd be so cool if I could do that again!)
Carey got pretty much the same time as me. We basically had twin times. We were paired up with two other women we didn't know because they needed another 2 (like us) to fullfill their team of 4. The website stated this, but it seemed to be a problem when we requested it... luckily it all worked out. They were not avid runners, so I'm interested to know what we would have placed if we'd had another Carey & Sara. (I'm so humble right).
Well get this. We got beat (CREAMED) by a pregnant woman who is due to give birth in 6 weeks (yeah, not lying!) and ran the 3.2 miles in 23 minutes. TWENTY THREE MINUTES. That's a 7 minute mile. At 7-1/2 months pregnant. What the? Oh and don't forget the 7 year old boy who ran it in 22 minutes. (ahem. Adderol)

No comments:

Post a Comment