Monday, April 18, 2011

ZOOMA 1/2 Marathon

I didn't get a medal for this one. Just a necklace? I thought that was kind of strange. And no I didn't crop my photo because YES I am totally stoked about my abs! Sha!
I have a little work before I reach my goals, but no, I'm not cropping this photo to only show my ZOOMA pendant.
;-)

I started the race off well, and had a great pace of about 9:30m/m to 8:15m/m the first 6 miles, and I felt really good. There were some very unexpected hills. VERY cruel, and unexpected hills. I fought them like the dickens. (there I go with that word again). And I think that's what brought on my trouble. Instead of taking it easy on the hills like I should have, I exerted more energy than I needed to and ended up struggling with my asthma around the 6th mile. I slowed my pace a little and even stopped at the water stations for 30 seconds each. Which I NEVER do. By the 10th mile I had to stop at the medical tent because my chest tightened up so bad I couldn't put another foot in front of the other. I thought I might even fall, pass out, black out, wasn't sure. But they helped me out, even encouraged me to step off the race at that point but I felt pretty invigorated (not sure why?) and had to even talk myself OUT of finishing those last 3 miles strong. I had to pace myself slow and made them out around a 9:45-10:30 m/m. I had lost a good 5 minutes out of the race overall. Maybe more. They wouldn't let me look at my Garmin. But my final time was 2:06.
My last 1/2 marathon was 2:03.
Bummer.

I can safely guess I won't complete the full marathon in 4 hours!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment