Thursday, December 8, 2011

Don't You Hate it when...

I always go back to this.  One of my biggest pet peeves is when others complain about situations whether it's being in a bad relationship, feeling sick all the time, being over-weight, not able to run a 5k, feeling "bloated", having headaches, always being broke etc ETC.  It's hard for me to get over this intolerance, and I KNOW it's a character flaw of mine.  I am a pretty compassionate person but if you find it important enough to complain to me (and beat yourself up about it), then it's something you should feel is important to DO something about.  I've come to realize that I may really hate this behavior because during a long period in my life; that was me.  I complained about my health, but wasn't vigilant about it.  I complained about weight gain but ate nachos instead of salad.  I would repeatedly run to friends when something in my relationship wasn't right, but the wrongs kept happening because I let them.  I realized that complaining about it all is just the easy way to validate yourself and your feelings and "take a stand" on the problem without actually doing anything about it.  But when you consistently complain without being proactive, you are making it everyone else's problem.  That's when relationships begin to suffer.  No one wants to listen to you bitch about not having money or being overweight if you're not going to get an extra job or set a budget or stop shopping online at work... or going for pizza and eating fried foods on the menu & not making time for exercise.  WHY COMPLAIN if you don't have plans to DO anything about it?

So this is my motto (and I wish someone had shoved this in my face several years ago)... if it's that important you WILL (and can) find a way.  If not, there will always be an excuse.  Is it wrong?  Not necessarily, but you have to analyze your goals a little better & then set realistic ones.  If you're not willing to do the work to improve your situation (whatever it is), then move on.  If you hate being overweight, but you just cannot stop making excuses- then you have to accept yourself the way you are and stop beating yourself up.  Either accept it or change. Skinny people are not "lucky".  Rich people are not "lucky". Happiness takes work.

At one point, I wrote a BOOK on excuses.  Believe me, I know them all and I've used them all.  I used to think there was no way I could find time to exercise, or afford healthy foods, or enjoy a night out with friends without getting a migraine, or that I would EVER feel completely healthy because I had so many convenient crutches to lean on.  Woe was me because I'd never be happy or healthy.

Once I began to make exercise a priority, things began to fall into place.  Soon, it wasn't even an option.  Like I don't look at any certain day and say "no time to exercise" because it is part of my JOB to do it.  So usually it's the other stuff that I don't have time for, and that is okay!  It's okay to have Grandma take Sydney to gymnastics, or bring them to the gym with me, or not have a fancy meal in the evenings (but instead do something active as a family).  Exercise is part of my job and I never call in sick.  Reason is because it is a part of my health and my vitality, it gives me energy, it increases blood flow and improves my mental sharpness.  Same with sleep and eating habits.  No more excuses that I can't afford healthy foods because when I eat clean and stick to it, I don't need to take hundreds of prescription pills for one ailment or the other.  I havent been to the pharmacy in 11 months, so when you deduct the cost of medications- you CAN afford healthy food.  So which would you rather pay for?  Chemical drugs that give you disgusting side effects?  Or natural, whole foods that improve the quality of your life?

If you find yourself feeling sorry for yourself, step back and figure out WHAT got you there and WHAT is keeping you there.  If you want to keep making excuses then it's time to stop feeling sorry for yourself.  For every excuse, there is a way.

Someone once told me that if I "can't" run in the rain, or when it's "too cold" or "too hot"... then I'm not a serious & true runner.  That got me pissed enough to run no matter what (and believe me, I'd rather run when it's 105* outside then when it's 35*, uuuuuugh!). If I have to take the stroller, or put on layers (or peel OFF layers) or whatever; run with a freaking umbrella... I'm running.  I'd rather be taken seriously then be laughed at.


**************


Andy and I have this ongoing joke (he started it) about how we take for granted so many things in life, that it gets to the point where the dumbest thing feels like the most gigantic inconvenience.  I've been compiling a list of some of our ridiculous complaints:


(1)  Ugh.  The dishwasher is broken (or worse, it's clean and you don't want to unload it) and now we have to HAND wash the dishes.  (or call my Mom & use the "broken wrist" excuse again)



(2)  SO annoying when you have refill the water in your automatic, single serve, non filter, gourmet coffee machine.  I thought this was supposed to make life EASIER.


(3)  Gah.  Don't you hate it when you don't have enough iphones, droids and ipads for ALL the kids and they actually have to take turns?


(4)  How annoying is it when your phone/map/camera/music player/bar code scanner/ recipe book/ tv/ netflix player/ address book/ house alarm/ video recorder/ etc starts running slow and you can't open the angry birds app?


(5)  I can't count the number of times I drove past 3 or 4 Starbucks in order to get to the one with a drive-thru... only to find... ::::sigh:::: there's a line.  Oh well, guess it wasn't meant for me to have coffee.


(6)  I could just pull my hair out every time the cleaning ladies come to the house and don't put the pillows exactly where they are SUPPOSED to go.  It's like someone is trying to tell me "Why don't you just do it yourself then".  psh. yeah right.


(7)  This could possibly make Andy's head explode.  Don't you hate it when you are 2 points short of "A Status" with Southwest Airlines and can't get through the first class security?  And you have to stand in line?

It's amazing how we take modern conveniences for granted, and how much you start to look at yourself when you are faced with your momentary survival mode when such conveniences fail to come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment