Sunday, April 11, 2010

Capitol 10k

First, on Saturday I decided that instead of taking both kids to run errands, I was just going to take Sydney and do some "sydney-mommy" only stuff and hang out and chat. She and I haven't done that in a while, and I should put more effort in to have more one-on-one time with her. She's such a fun kid. We made our first stop at Costco for paper goods (toilet paper, diapers, wipes, formula ~ ugh I still hate that I have to buy formula~ and our cheap milk!) We stopped by the Costco cafe and got this giant cup of fat free soft serve yogurt for $1.35 and shared it.
A buck.35!!! It was huge!! The two of us couldn't finish it and it was so good. I love Costco.

Sydney picked out a new summer outfit from the clothes section: a purple tinker bell shorts set... and I was pleased to find a yummy selection of fish on sale and super fresh! So I bought some Cod to make either fish tacos or try a new recipe this week. I've been really into fish lately. Then we got this huge bag of blended frozen fruit to make "smoovies" in the blender. I notice I always shop healthy at Costco.

We all got up super early Sunday morning for my 10k.
We got there a little early because they didn't send me my timing tag and I was concerned that they somehow messed up my registration and no one had been returning my emails or calls all week. Understandable: 22,000 people running in the race, so I get that they are a bit overloaded and must prioritize things as they should, so I'm a patient person but I DID want to be timed and run competitively. So we get there early, and as it turns out, they totally screwed up my registration and had me under the "fun run" and wouldn't give me a timing tag because "the timed runners were at capacity"... and as she is telling me this some guy next to me was registering late (as in, showed up that morning to register for the race as a timed competitive runner) and got in with a white bib and a timing tag. I'm like "if you're at capacity, how is he registering right now at this moment and getting a tag, yet I registered 5 months ago and can't get one?" and all she said was "sorry". I was FUMING. and just walked away SOOOOOOO angry.
So Andy and the girls and I waited in the Embassy Suites for all the competitive runners to start/go and then the "fun runners" could line up and go. I used my iPhone application "stop watch" and started my own time once I crossed the line, turned up my music and just ran. I got over it, not like I would have won anything had I been with the competitive runners, but I LOVE running and I like to have my races timed, as it gives me more momentum. I ended up passing up the "herd" and as I saw red, purple and even white bibs standing around in line for port-a-potties along the way I'm like REALLY??? It's 6 miles!!! Not a marathon people! (ugh!!! And I couldn't get a time tag!!!???) Nevermind. I'm not that competitive of a person, but when it comes to running, I am usually always trying to out-do myself every time. I don't race against others, usually just myself. I ended up finishing at 58:18 which is about a 9 minute/mile, and that's a good pace for me. I really think I can do better. I used to do that when I was in middle school without breaking a sweat for fun during PE class. Competitively I could run a 6 minute mile, again like it was nothing. I had coaches beg me to be in track but I thought it was for nerds. I've always loved running, but just recently since having kids taken it seriously as a form of release, therapy, sport and fun.

They didn't see me cross the finish line, I was surprised to see so many people there once I crossed Congress Bridge. Both girls were so excited to see me, especially Kelli. She was SO cute with this HUGE smile on her face and kept staring at me and resting her head on me.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, see? Costco isn't just for nerds. It's awesome!

    i would suggest you send a very polite email to the race directors advising them of your issue and ask them for a comp "timed" entry to next year's race ("in lieu of a refund") for your inconvenience. Be sure to express your disappointment in being unable to be timed but do it super polite (i know you have a lot of entries etc etc but i signed up in November to avoid this issue, etc etc). From my perspective this is the most likely way to get me (as the RD) to listen and do what the person wants.

    can't hurt to ask.

    ReplyDelete