Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pondering on Christmas Eve-Eve

1. I think my kids are really wonderful. No. Honest. I'm a very lucky Mom. I don't know if their amazing personalities are products of parenting or just the fact that they were truly born this way and always destined to be this way in order to teach ME something, in order to awaken a part of me that needed that enlightenment. Without these children, I'd still be in the dark about what life is meant to be about... and not even know! Everyday I think to myself how lucky I am. I have such great kids, and couldn't love anything more than that.

2. I'm trying to figure out what this Christmas is going to mean to me. Since I turned about 16 years old or so, I lost that "magic" about Christmas, and when Sydney got to be around 2 I started to regain that "magic" again through her as she was just entering this whole world of Santa & the North Pole. But last year she was completely spoiled as we tried to out-do the year prior. So I promised we'd restrain ourselves this year and try to re-establish what the true meaning of Christmas *is*. Why do we give gifts? Why do we show so much love this time of year as opposed to other times of the year? Why not give ALL year? Further more, the messages at our church have been touching on this very thing as well, making my thoughts ponder on this a bit longer and deeper.

3. I am humbled lately by so many different friendships and people in my life. I often challenge myself to be a better friend no matter the inconvenience. I have found in the past that sometimes if I give more into a friendship than I get out of it, I will obtain a certain amount of grief and bitterness but I am training myself to move on from that and just not care. To give without expectation, therefore not end up hurt. I've always known that friendship should not require "work". Friendship just is. But someone doesn't have to be my friend for me to be theirs. I have to remind myself of this. Giving is better than receiving.

2 comments:

  1. oh :( The third one makes me sad. :( you sound sad.
    but the first two. Dead on! except i think about it in terms of my kids.
    and the second one, well, i can say that we have definitely used more restraint this year than last, however, i think a lot more can be used in the future. they'd be plenty happy with literally one or two things and it'd be that much more special, i think.
    And i agree...the magic of christmas and santa and explaining "santa" stuff... it's fun with kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah. just the woahs of deep thinking. i truly think andy and i are lucky in friendship and honestly i have to remember its not what i get out of it, but what i put into that is meaningful. i love my friends! And I am SO thankful for you Jeannine!!! you're my constant! Can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete